Chiang Mai Province.
Area North Thailand.
The Lanna Thai kingdom of Thailand.
Popularly known as the Rose of the North, Chiang Mai is blessed with stunning natural beauty and unique indigenous cultural identity. Founded by King Mengrai the great as the capital of the Lanna Thai kingdom by merging the various city states in the region in 1296. Today Chiang Mai is the economic, cultural, commmunications, and tourism center of Northern Thailand.
About 700 kilometres from Bangkok, Chiang Mai is situated on the Mae Ping river basin some 310 meters above sea level.
Surrounded by high mountain ranges, it covers an area of approximately 20,107 square kilometers. The terrain is mainly jungles and mountains, parts of which are within national parks which are still fertile and verdant with plentiful flora and fauna. There are many sites and locations where tourists perfer to visit to study the lifestyle of the hilltribe people who live on the high hills.
Chiang Mai facts and figures.
Chiang Mai is situated on latitude 18 degree north and longitude 98 degree west. The widest point of the province measures 136 kilometres(85miles.), and the longest 320 kilometres(200 miles). To the north, a 227 kilometer(141.88 miles) stretch of mountains divides Chiang Mai's northern districts of Fang and Mae Ai from the region around Kengtung in the Shan state of Myanmar(Burma). On the east, Chiang Mai is bordered by Chiang Rai, Lampang and Lamphun provinces. The Mae Tuen river, Ream mountains, and Luang mountains separate Chiang Mai"s south from the Tak province. Some stretches of Chiang Mai's south also border Lamphun province. To the west, Chiang Mai is bordered by Mae hong son province.
A large part (82%) of Chiang Mai's land is covered by mountains and forests. The mountain ranges generally run in a north-south alignment through the province and give birth to several streams and tributaries (such as the Mae Chaem, Mae Ngat and Mae klang) which in turn feed important rivers and irrigation canals (such as the Muand and Faay) which provide the water necessary to Chiang Mai's agricalture.
Chiang Mai's largest and most important river is the Mae Ping, which originates in the mountains north of Chiang Dao and flows southwards for 540 kilometres(337.5 miles). It is along the banks of this river that Chiang Mai's flat valley area lies.
Chiang Mai is also home to Inthanon Mountain, which stands 2,565 meters(8,498 feet) above sea level and is Thailand's highest mountain.
In relation to the rest of Thailand, Chiang Mai is considered to be quite cool. The average yearly temperature is 25.4 C., with the highest temperatures being is the low 40 s and the lowest 5-10 C.
There are 3 seasons in Northern Thailand: the summer season(hot and humid) begins in early March and lasts through to the end of May with anverage temperature of 29.9 C. the hottest month is April.
The rainy season (wet,monsoon) begins in early June ans last throgh to the end of October with an average temperature of 25.5 C. with frequent rains in September.
The winter season (cool and dry) begins in late October and lasts throughout February with an average temperature of 21C., usually cooler at night. The coldest months are December and January.
With a population of 1,571,962 Chiang Mai is one of Thailand's largest provinces. Of the above 171,595 are currently living in Chiang Mai's city area with the rest distributed throughout Chiang Mai's 22districts and 2 Sub-districts. 80% of the people in Chiang Mai are locals by birth, and speak a dialect that is a slight variation of the central Thai language. The remaining 20% is made up of Thai nationals and foreigners who have moved to Chiang Mai to work, study, or retire.