Mae hong son Province.
Area North Thailand.
The Lanna Thai kingdom of Thailand.
Mae Hong Son is know as "the Land of the 3 mists" and a province bordering Burma in the north of Thailand. The province capital is a small town with thick forests around it, 924 kilometers from Bangkok Thailand. Mae hong son is one of the most interesting places for trekking area and with an intervening territory of rugged, mountainous wilderness separating it form Chiang mai and Chiang rai province. Mae hong son has 7 district : Muang Mae hong son, Mae sariang, Khun Yuam, Pai, Mae la noi, Sop Muay, and Pang Ma Pa.
Mae hong son is situated on latitude 19 degree north and longitude 97 degree west. This province area 12,681 square kilometres. Nestled in a deep valley hemmed in by high moutain ranges, Mae hong son has been isolated from the outside world. Virtrally covered with mist throughout the year, the name refers to the fact that is terrain is highly suitable for the training of elephants.
Today, Mae hong son is one of the idream destination for visitors who are attracted by its cultural and natural wonders.
Origins of Mae hong son province.
Before the Ratanakosin Era (roughly 400 years ago), Mae hong son was no more than a scattered community in the forest, Populated mainly by Shan (Tai Yai) people. The Shan are the largest cultural groups of the province and migrated there from different town and regions of Burma.
However, in 1871 the fifth ruler of Chiang mai - King Maehotraprathet - commanened the prince Jao Gaeow Maemuangma to conduct a survey of the region on his western border
The expedition found a small community set in a favourable location, with innumerable wild pigs attracted by the salt lick here. The prince established a settlement there called Baan Pong Moo (Salt lick village) which later became Pang Moo village.
A community leader called Paga Mong was appointed, and he joined Prince Jao Gaeow maemuangma in capturing elephants to the sounth of this settlement. The elephants were taken to another location favourable for training because it had a suitable water course,
and here both elephant and soldiers were trained in the skills of battle. This new settlement was called Mae Rong son , meaning "a place suitable for elephant warfare training" and Paga Mmong's son-in-law became its commander. Later this location became know under its present-day name of Mae hong son. In 1874, the ruler of Chiangmai King Inthawichiyanon upgraded Mae hong son to be a muang nadan(a frontier town) designating Phaya Singhanatracha as it first ruler.